1.2.07

prosopagnosia II

[Thoughts on self-portraiture as an act of representation... and my own problems with "face blindness"]

The first project my digital photo classmates and I were assigned to involved creating a portrait of a human subject. We were asked to explore the various ways that we could "render identity" within a photo, which is actually a very difficult thing to do - particularly when asked to portray one's self.

I personally have never really done a self-portrait, which is why I was encouraged by my instructor to attempt it for this first project. No one sees themselves objectively - this is a given - but it's still intimidating to focus on the self as the subject; to make the artist the one represented in the work of art. Most would acknowledge that the presence of the artist is evident in any piece, regardless of whether or not it's a self-portrait. We always impose our own perspective when we frame a photo. ...I just had to settle on what perspective I would impose on myself.

In order to avoid getting too self-conscious (though I suppose that was really the whole point...), I decided to experiment with a new formal approach rather than trying too hard to create something that defined "me" (because, honestly, I don't know how to do that). I have always liked the work of Julia Margaret Cameron, so I took in some of her images as inspiration.

Here's what I came up with in the end:


(All rights reserved.)

I have a hard time recognizing myself in these photos.

1 comment:

ourmike said...

Hi Marisa, interesting problem.

Does a portrait necessarily portray the face? Did the project criteria specify the face was the only way to 'render identity'?

Your photos don't tell me anything about you because I am face blind too. For me, another person's face is useful for 'reading' them while I'm talking to them, but is not really part of their identity. To the extent that I can visualise another person, I think of their voice, size, hair (from the back), body shape, gait and general body language. And of course their true identity goes far beyond what can be seen or heard.

So if I were to make a photographic self portrait I would probably show me from behind or the side, in the act of moving (say sitting down or standing up, or turning around) rather than being still. Or perhaps doing an activity that includes all that in the context of an activity that portrays who I am and what I do - the obvious would be a picture of me from behind, on a ladder cleaning a window, but probably in the act of throwing a frisbee for my dog would be a more representative choice.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting blog.