14.2.07

(love conquers) amnesia

["Fugue state is also known as dissociative fugue. It is caused by psychological trauma and is usually temporary. The Merck Manual defines it as 'one or more episodes of amnesia in which the inability to recall some or all of one's past and either the loss of one's identity or the formation of a new identity occur with sudden, unexpected, purposeful travel away from home'. While popular in fiction, it is extremely rare."]

~Happy V-Day to everyone~

I understand that the holiday is bittersweet for many (I've heard it tartly referred to as "Singles' Awareness Day"), and I know that some people prefer to ignore it altogether. I myself am trying to maintain the view that today is a Wednesday like any other... but a friend sent me the following article, and I can't resist sharing it (despite the context).

The man featured in this article, Jeff Ingram, wandered off and forgot literally everything about his life as he knew it when he suffered from an episode of dissociative amnesia. But through the most unpredictable of circumstances, he was reunited with his girlfriend of over two years, and has since fallen in love with her all over again. (It's really an amazing story - I think even the most cynical would consider it heartwarming.)

No comments: